Notes ‘n Links – Wondrous Roots Radio – WKBK – Keene, NH – April 22, 2017April 22, 2017
Notes ‘n Links – Wondrous Roots Radio – WKBK – Keene, NH – Saturday May 13, 2017May 13, 2017
Got heartburn? No problem… just take this pill!
Popular proton-pump inhibitors: Turning off much more than acid production!
Let’s take a second look….
- You NEED stomach acid!
- The vast majority of people with acid reflux have acid reflux because they don’t make ENOUGH stomach acid
- Digestion – the pH of the stomach needs to be around 1-2 in order to digest food properly
- Stomach acid kills bugs that aren’t supposed to be able to survive and stay in your body, such as
- E. Coli
- People on proton-pump inhibitors are at greater risk for infection with
- Clostridium difficile
- Significantly increased risk for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Proton-pump inhibitors prevent the protons involved in parietal cell activity from making the necessary electrical connection to produce stomach acid. But did you know that there are proton pumps in cells throughout your body, and these get inhibited, as well? Other areas of health then affected include:
- Cognition – brain health
- Bones – osteoclasts, the bone cells responsible for the resorption of calcium, also possess proton pumps, and their activity is thought to be directly affected by PPIs